The University of Georgia’s top undergraduate research scholarship is available through the Morehead Honors College and the Center for Undergraduate Research Opportunities.
The CURO Honors Scholarship provides $3,000 in funding a year, renewable for up to four years. All incoming first-year UGA students interested in research in any field may apply.
Students from groups underrepresented in research are specifically encouraged to apply—this includes students from ethnic and racial minorities, students with financial need, students from rural areas, first-generation students, and students who anticipate working in underrepresented research disciplines. Prior research experience is not required.
Scholars form a community of diverse students committed to growing academically and individually. If you show great potential and motivation in your research interests, we can’t wait to see your application!
Application deadline: February 1
As a CURO Honors Scholar, you would:
- Receive $3,000 in funding each year
- Enjoy mentoring and community support
- Attend special seminars, workshops, events, and activities
- Pursue a research agenda in your first semester at UGA
- Conduct research in any discipline at UGA, including (but not limited to) physical, biological, and social sciences; business; international affairs; engineering; humanities; and the fine and performing arts
- Be assisted by staff in the Morehead Honors College, which administers the scholarship
Applying for the CURO Honors Scholarship
- Students must first submit a First-Year Admission application to the University of Georgia in order to be considered for the CURO Honors Scholarship application.
- After you receive the “Next Steps” email from UGA and establish your permanent password to your application status page, click the “Apply Now” button below to begin the UGA application. Once you have started the UGA application, you will be able to resume working on your CURO Honors Scholarship application from your application status page.
- The deadline to submit an application is February 1. No further applications will be accepted beyond this date.
- The CURO Honors Scholarship is only available to graduating high school seniors who intend to become first-year students at the University of Georgia. It is not available to current UGA undergraduates or transfer students.
The selection process considers academic achievement, motivation to make research central to your undergraduate career, and demonstrated work ethic. Previous research experience is not necessary but is desirable.
Twenty CURO Promising Scholars will be chosen from the applications and invited to interview. CURO Honors Scholarship recipients will be selected from those Promising Scholars.
CURO Honors Scholars have received major scholarships such as the Churchill Scholarship, Schwarzman Scholarship, Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, the Merage American Dream Fellowship, and the Udall Scholarship. They have also gone on to prestigious professional and graduate programs nationally and internationally.